Saturday, December 20, 2008



Sorry about the black and white post twice in a row but I am working on a colored one tonight and promise I will post it soon.

So I was working today (as of now, I have a part time position at a sports gym), one of our customer was making a complaint that one of our so-called 'sports' drinks he's been drinking everyday these past few months made him diabetic. And he swore he would never touch that drink ever again but told us to do a bit of research of how much sugar is in the drink...when I heard this, I wanted to smack him senseless for following reasons...1) ignoring all the other factors that may have contributed to this condition, and 2) taking no pain or responsibility to actually do a reaserch himself about the content of that drink so that HE can find out whats in it.

The second part is what puzzles me the most these days...like, why don't people question about things that are taken for granted?? I guess thats one of the reasons why I 'escaped' Japan, as my brother described, or I started experiment with raw diet. Who says if you are born in Japan, you have to stay where you are and go to college and party away four years?? Who says you can't have a paprika and carrot for dinner instead of a bowl of rice and miso soup and piece of fish?? Who says you have to like a TV show because in vogue right now?? Im not saying you should be a total loner and ignore all the other people's rules and belittle their sense of community, and following your intuiton can sometimes be, well, stupid - but I think we all should embrace more of our personal integrity and free will. I sort of have to consciouly remind myself of this each day now because now I am in a small community where asserting myself is not always the best strategy to get by, and as those who knows me may have guessed, it is darn hard for me to behave like one of 'them.' But I am slowly re-adjusting myself while trying to keep that personal integrity intact.

At my work, there are swimming classes for kids going on everyday and I see hundreds of kids everyday - it is truly refreshing to communicate with them because they are just so - full of curiosity and enthusiastic about discovering new stuff!! I mean, if I have a piece of paper, they are like, what is it?? If I wear my hair differently they are like what happened to your hair etc etc....they just question things because things are just what they are and they see them as they are without putting them into a previously assigned category. They jump and run all the time, full of energy but all of a sudden turn grumpy if something goes awry without regard to what others might think. I know I know, adults and kids are different but I think we can learn so much from kids - of course as we get older, maturity and respect for altruism take over some of our childish traits, but essentially, we can appreciate that beaty of having childlike personality.

ha, this post turned out to be long, but I guess my point is, don't call me weirdo! haha

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. It gets a little lonely at first when you stand out, but only until you find your "tribe," people who have a passion and who remain true to who they are, no matter what.

    My current experience is being a mother who has very different ideas of how to raise a child than what's considered "normal." People feel threatened when you question what they do, so instead of re-evaluating their choices, they attack yours. Very mature strategy!

    Keep it up, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete